Thursday, April 4, 2013

Life Without Facebook

I must say, that my impulses to melt my brain with Facebook have been strong and consistent. I am in my third full day, and a friend tells me that I can expect the addiction to loosen it's hold on me by the end of my first week. I secretly don't believe him. In the meantime, I have been thoroughly enjoying my time alone in my new place. Today I will go over the host family's to take a shower. I am hoping that they feed me. I am also hoping that they send me away with goodies such as the homemade lavash they get delivered to the house, the fresh homemade cheese that I've grown to love and crave, and maybe apples or something.

Today I  finally started to decorate the house. For some reason, I have been reluctant to do this without my new bed, which I expect to be delivered within the next day or two. Seeing that the bed is not the whole house, I thought it would be okay if I started in the dining area. I decorated the walls with the colorings that my niece did, sent by my mother. I am hoping that when I finally invite the host family and some choice students over they don't assume I am hanging my own pictures... that would be very awkward. When the place is as I want it, I will be sure to post pictures into the blog for your viewing pleasure.

Without Facebook, I find myself writing daily in my journal and devouring any book that I can get my hands on. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous, high 70's for the last week and I've dutifully been getting my tan on. I am still becoming accustomed to the neighborhood sounds, always on edge that my landlord will waltz up the stairs to find me in my underwear smoking a cigarette, reading a book, laying on a camping mat outside my front door. I don't really think this would go over well, so I jump at every sound that comes from the street.

The trees in my yard continue to bloom and it's magnificent taking note of which ones gained color over the last day or so the next morning. I can't wait for the furthering of privacy that will surely happen once all of the tress and plants have leafed and or bloomed. This weekend I am having my sitemates over for a house warming dinner and plan to spend the rest of the time working on my tan, preparing for our regional poetry contest and tiding up the garden.

Yay for Spring, tans, freedom, flipflops, decorating, and being that much closer to my birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment