Sunday, April 7, 2013

Jigsaw Falling Into Place

After closing the computer on my last post, much of what I was looking forward to awaited me. Siranush had made my favorite meal (which isn't really a meal at all, but a sauteed vegetable that is somewhere between spinach and seaweed called 'bonjar') and sent me home with some goodies. This time it was fresh homemade cheese ( YES!), a jar of sauce I helped jar last summer (YEESSS!), and a bag full on onions (yes?). She also informed me that I should not be purchasing my potatoes from anyone, but that she would supply them for me.

She inquired about where I buy my eggs, lavash and other vegetables. She asked me why I didn't bring my clothes to wash. I told her I would return to wash them either today or tomorrow. She then told me that one of her twin daughters moved into my old room. She told me that for the first time in their lives the twins are sleeping in separate rooms. Her daughter has decorated the room the same way that I had, with pictures and writings on the walls. She then lead me back to the room I lived in for eight months to see with my own eyes.  I can't properly relay the response this evoked. Somewhere between surprise, validation and pride.

All this time, one of the areas I've felt most disappointed in has been my relationship with Siranush's twin daughters. American twin sisters that are 15 years old are going to be difficult to bond with, no less Armenian ones. There are several reasons why I found this relationship challenging. Firstly, I've never had a sister. Secondly, Armenian youth are experiencing this two-sided-coin sort of life: The way their parents understand life and the world; and the world they're being exposed to through internet and television. Finally, they're my students and I never quite knew how to balance those two very different relationships. So when I saw that Anna had literally followed in my foot steps there was such a sense of relief. I wasn't able to see until that moment that I had made an impact on the girls, maybe even more than I realize now. The very cool thing about this impact, is that it was one I wanted to have. I wanted them to become more individual, independent so that there was more room for personal growth and it seems that is exactly what will ensue.

I was on such a high walking home from the 'ole host family home that evening that when one of the school's cleaning ladies came running outside, asking that I come inside, I agreed. Since moving, I have received a lot of invitations to go sit, have coffee and candy. It's a regular and normal thing for Armenians to extend this sort of hospitality. Hosting friends, family, and strangers is a normal and regular part of the culture. The word 'huerasirel' means 'to guest love' literally, but in our terms it would mean to be a very good host. There's also an understanding that you are 'pleasuring' your guests. I recently had a male Armenian friend begin to say, "So, when we are pleasuring you..." My friend Lauren and I, once we stopped snorting in laughter, explained this wasn't exactly an appropriate phrasing for the circumstances. Anyway, I hung out with Annahit and her daughter-in-law for a half hour or so and they sent me away with a bottle of fresh cow's milk. Overall, it was a very good day.

The day before an Armenian Peace Corps Staff member had stopped in Malishka on his way down South to drop off a tank of gas. Once opening the stove to reveal the smaller tank, he explained I would need a new reductor and a new schlong. No joke. This man stood in my kitchen and explained, "You will need, maybe, a one to two meter schlong will be long enough." If there was a single other American around I would have lost it, but I did not feel like explaining myself to this man and so I kept my mouth shut.

Also, Samvell helped me to pick up my bed in the nearby town AND THAT was another ridiculous highlight of last week. This may be the first time that everyone was truly gawking at me, and it wasn't just my imagination or a bad dream. We simply had to laugh it off. Now I sit in my living room that's decorated and arranged precisely how I want it after a wonderful evening and morning with my sitemates laughing, commiserating and most importantly, sharing.

Life is good. Life is real good.


Song Of The Week: Rachel Yamagata 'Elephants'
Quote Of The Week: "Hing rope, arten yekav!"


1 comment:

  1. Dearest Carolyn ,
    So happy to read that you too are happy with your new home. Also glad that my counter-part is doing what every Mother would do for her children . The language thing cracks me up . I will mail your Birthday box tomorrow so hopefully it will arrive in time. Its finally starting to feel like spring here in NY . Can't wait to open all the windows in the house !! Talk to you soon .
    All my Love ,
    XOXO
    Mom
    ,

    ReplyDelete