Thursday, February 21, 2013

She's A Volunteer...

Today my Regional Manager came to visit my village. She was coming to check out my possible new house and meet with my Director. My counterpart did not come to meet with her, because you know - it was her day off and all. It was so nice to have Meri, my Regional Manager with me. She is an Armenian and beautifully fluent in English. I really trust her judgment and understanding of volunteers' needs. In short, she's great.

Unfortunately, there are some problems with the place. Namely, money. Every month, Peace Corps deposits 145,144 drams into my Armenian bank account. That exchanges out to about $356.14 a month. Now, that is based on the fact that I live in a village, so I am only allotted 15,000 drams ($36.81) for rent. This is the amount that the volunteer before me paid for this house back in April of last year. The landlords in Russia have communicated to their brother (who will manage the house and myself) that now the asking price is 25,000 drams ($61.34). There is this baffling Peace Corps rule that you are not allowed to pay 5,000 drams over the allotted amount within the stipened. Luckily for me, there is an appeal process and my Regional Manager explained that I am a volunteer, it's going to be really difficult to pay the 25,000 (and I'm technically not allowed to, either).

I will wait to hear back from both him and Meri, so that hopefully everything is sorted out my next week. By sorted out, I mean I will begin the repeal process (which can take up to a month) and hopefully only pay 20,000 drams (5,000 extra out of the 145,144) for the month of March. Other then the money and the fact that I can't paint the bare cement walls, I am extremely exited about this place. Mainly because I get to buy new stuff; including but not limited to food items, linoleum, rugs, a teflon stick-free pan, and other things.

Every night before I go to bed I dream of living in there. I'm considering buying a bed right now, as it's become more and more important to me. There are other household goods that I'm giddy about buying, simply ecstatic.

Wish me luck on the repeal process!!

Song Of the Week: Taking Back Sunday - You're So Last Summer (yes, I still rock out to TBS)
Quote of the Week: "What is it- one of those 'pin - interest' things?"

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn,
    I will pray all goes through if its meant to be . If it doesn't , don't sweat it , there will be a better place instead. Keep planning all the things you can do in your new place while waiting. Did you get the box yet? I will send the bike when you move in !!
    We love and miss you daily .
    XOXOXOXO
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete